The main objectives of the Board are to :
- Encourage the production of cocoa, coffee and sheanut.
- Initiate programmes aimed at controlling pests and diseases of cocoa, coffee and sheanut.
- Undertake and encourage the processing of cocoa, coffee, sheanut and cocoa waste with the aim of adding value for export and local consumption.
- Undertake, promote and encourage scientific research aimed at improving the quality of cocoa, coffee, sheanut and other tropical crops.
- Regulate the internal marketing of cocoa, coffee and sheanut.
- Secure the most favourable arrangements for the purchase, grading and sealing, certification, sale and export of cocoa, coffee and sheanut.
- Purchase, market and export cocoa and cocoa products produced in Ghana which is graded under the Cocoa Industry (Regulations) (Consolidation) Decree, 1968 NLCD 278, or any other enactment as suitable for export.
- Assist in the development of the cocoa, coffee and sheanut industries of Ghana.
The main functions of the Board
The functions of COCOBOD centre on the production, research, extension, internal and external marketing and quality control. The functions are classified into two main sectors; Pre-harvest and Post-harvest which are performed by specialised divisions of the Board.
The Pre-harvest Sector functions which are performed by the Cocoa Research Institute of Ghana (CRIG), the Seed Production Unit (SPU) and the Cocoa Swollen Shoot Virus Disease Control Unit (CSSVDCU) deal with fundamental issues on actual cocoa production at the farm gate level.
The Post-harvest Sector functions are undertaken by the Quality Control Division (QCD) and the Cocoa Marketing Company (CMC) Limited.The Post-harvest activities of COCOBOD start with quality control measures of QCD which farmers must observe to facilitate the acceptance of their produce at the buying centres by the licensed buying companies engaged in internal marketing of cocoa at the time.
COCOBOD has over the years successfully lived up to its mandate of facilitating and promoting the growth and sustenance of the cocoa industry in Ghana. The success story is owed to a well-structured set of agencies of COCOBOD that work together with synergy to provide most of the services and products required by various stakeholders in the industry.
Particularly COCOBOD and its subsidiaries and divisions are involved in the following operations;
- Marketing of cocoa beans and cocoa products
- Cocoa Quality Assurance
- Research and training
- Crop diseases & pests control
- Crop rehabilitation projects
- Farmer Extension Services
All these operations, handled by various subsidiaries and divisions of COCOBOD, are gracefully coordinated and blended together to yield good results for the cocoa industry and the national economy.